Law of Integration in the Netherlands

Law of Integration in the Netherlands

The Netherlands is an excellent choice for anyone who wants to reside and retire in a peaceful and calming surrounding. Although the Netherlands is one of the most densely populated countries in Europe, it is still a sought-out country for those who desire to migrate to a country on this continent. All the Amsterdam holidays, the Amsterdam city trips, and the Amsterdam canal tours are just a bike or a stone’s throw away from you. Just the thought of living in the Netherlands keeps people excited and motivated.

Immigration option

If you really want to live a permanent residency in the Netherlands, then you should follow their set rules and regulations governing immigration. If you are from the Schengen area, then you do not have to apply for a visa to stay in the Netherlands. People from countries in the European Union can also stay for as long as they want in the Netherlands but will be required to get a citizen number if they foresee themselves as being in the country for more than three months.

As an applicant for immigration to the Netherlands, you must abide by all the rules and regulations of the country regarding permanent residency. If you are not a citizen of a country in the European Union, European Economic Area, Switzerland, or Turkey, then you will also be required to take the Law of Integration exam.

Law of Integration Exam

What is the Law of Integration exam? Basically, this exam should be taken by a certain class of immigrants who want to live in the country. The exam covers the basics of Dutch living which include knowing information about the Dutch and their society. Even if you have never made your first step in the Netherlands, you should educate yourself about the country and its culture.

This law was passed in the House of Representatives on July 7, 2006, and in the Senate on November 28 of the same year. The author of the bill was Rita Verdonk. This provided the foundation for the programs known as inburgering. This is for the residents who have already relocated to the country and must pass an exam three and a half years after they first moved in.